• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New White Labs Pure Pitch viability

mvcorliss

Apprentice
Reaction score
Will be seeing changes made to BeerSmith's yeast starter calculations based on the PurePitch new longer outdates? Are the original calculations "close enough"?

Don't the yeast mfgs show a best used by date yet BS uses a mfg date which we don't know?

I usually subtract 30-45 days from best used by let it rip

Maybe I am missing something

Rick

mvcorliss said:
Will be seeing changes made to BeerSmith's yeast starter calculations based on the PurePitch new longer outdates? Are the original calculations "close enough"?

Even though Whitelabs has changed its packaging, yeast has not changed it biology. The new packaging decreases the handling needed, so that increases long term viability by decreasing cell damage. Their process also assures a fully sterile growth and packaging environment (something they were already extremely good at doing, anyway). On its own, yeast still loses viability at the same rate from consuming its store of nutrients.

In Options > Yeast Starter you'll find the tool to extend shelf life is already in BeerSmith. The age rate for liquid yeast is set at 21% per month. Decreasing this number will calculate longer shelf life.

Personally, I don't see any need to make assumptions about longer shelf life. Yeast should be used as fresh as possible. Having a little less viability built in may mean a slightly larger starter volume or a few more packets, but that won't harm the beer.

Wyeast prints the packaging date on their product.  White labs prints the 'use by' date which is reported to be 4 months prior to the use by date.

I have used both Wyeast and White Labs yeast that were withn 30 days or so of their "expiration" with no issues.  I did, however, increase the size of my starter by about 40%.  That being said, I have returned a package of Wyeast because it didn't inflate after 6 hours.  My supplier told me that it did finally inflate the following day.  Go figure...

New PurePitch packaging from white Labs shows both MFG date and expiration. 6 months
I have not been adjusting viability in BeerSmith. Have not  "counted the cells" Keep loosing track.:) ;D

Back