• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carafa 1

Auldyin

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Morning all

I'm about to brew a light ale (18 litres) which calls for a very small amount of Carafa 1 which is not available here.
What would be your suggested alternatives?

3.60 kg Pilsner (2 row) (-1.0 EBC) Grain 1 78.8 %
0.59 kg Cara Plus 150 (170.0 EBC) Grain 2 12.9 %
0.36 kg Pale Malt (-2.0 EBC) Grain 3 7.9 %
0.02 kg Carafa I (663.9 EBC) Grain 4 0.4 %

Carafa is dehusked to reduce the astringency and bitterness. Briess makes Blackprinz and Midnight Wheat malts that are the same idea. Both of those are closer in color to Carafe 3 at about 500 lovibond, so adjust accordingly.

A point of clarification, Carafa Special I is dehusked.  Weyermann also sells Carafa I which is not dehusked. At 0.4% of the grain bill, it is there mostly for color adjustment and I am not sure that any roasted astringency would be noticeable.

For this reason, if you cannot find the Briess offerings (the blackprinz or midnight wheat), pale chocolate malt would better match the color of the Carafa I and also be an acceptable replacement.

Considering the amount that the recipe asks for, the Carafa 1 can only be there for colour.
If this is the case, then you suggestion of the  pale chocolate malt is perfect and easily accessed.

Thanks for your help

Back