• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

fast fermentaion.

arctic78

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I Just brewed an American brown ale yesterday and used, for the first time , washed yeast and oxygen to aerate my wort before pitching and it has been the fastest of all my brews so far to get active fermentation . 1.5 hours and the air lock was bubbling. :D
I used washed wyeast 1217 that had been in the fridge for 3 weeks But made a 1ltr starter 2 days before brewing and cold pitched it into 17c (62.6f) and it is going great.
I have been stirring , shaking and pouring my wort previously to aerate and had not great success my lag times were long , On average 18 hours. Not terrible but i wanted to improve that. also my fermentation's always fell short of the F.G. by around 6 points on average so fingers crossed this time i hit my predicted F.G.
I am using a small Bernzomatic oxygen bottle  with a reg on top that runs silicon tube down to the stone . All up it cost me around $70 Aus . this has been my most expensive buy so far besides my boil kettle. Worth the money i think.

Back