• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Sparging

hkhanahm

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to all grain Brewing so before I do my first brew I have been doing a lot of planning so that I don't make dumb mistakes. I am using beersmith 2 and everything makes perfect sense except for batch sparging. The picture I attached is what it's telling me to do but it seems like a lot of water for a 3 gallon batch? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I havent checked off the option to drain tun before sparge or the option to use equal batches. My water to grain ratio is 1.33 so my mash water is 7.98 quarts for 6 pounds of grain. If these volumes are correct, could you please explain the steps I must follow?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160204-181533.png
    Screenshot_20160204-181533.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 379
  • Screenshot_20160204-184358.png
    Screenshot_20160204-184358.png
    303.7 KB · Views: 393
Most likely this issue has something to do with your equipment profile.  Check the amounts you have set for dead space losses and boil off rate.  The easiest way to troubleshoot is for you to post the whole recipe file if you can.

I just posted a picture of my dead spaces and boil off etc. I measured them accurately and I feel like they're correct.

Read:    http://dennybrew.com/

One clarification Denny has added is: Measure your first runnings. Subtract the first runnings volume from the pre-boil volume you want to start with in the brew kettle; that's the volume to use for your batch sparge water.

I do something similar.  Since I usually do 2 sparges, I will measure the amount I get out of the original lauter.  After that I know that I will get from the next sparge, whatever I put in.  Since the grains have soaked up as much as they are going to by now.  I do a basic math in my head.  Putting 2.5Gal in for sparge 1 I know will get me 2.5 Gal out and then another 2Gal in will get me 2Gal of sparge(2) 

Back