• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Request for Mixed DME and Grains Brew Formula

wblyons

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have several pounds of unmilled grains that I have had for a couple of years and thought
I would brew them up with 3.3 pounds of DME.  The grains are a variety of different types.  I also have a variety of hops that are beyond their expiry dates. 

Anyone have experience doing this and as I am fairly new to all grains  brewing, a step-by-step
formula would be most appreciated.

Depends on the types of grains, how they were stored and what you like to drink. If it's a wide range from light to dark, then you'll get something between a Brown Ale and Robust Porter.

If the grains have been stored at room temperature or in an uncontrolled environment, they may end up tasting very stale, flat or even rancid. Poorly stored grain can harbor weevils.

Can I assume that the Extract is fresh? If it isn't, then it might not be worth it, either. Liquid Extract oxidizes and darkens after just a month or so of exposure to air. Canned Malt extract lasts longer, but not forever.

Back