• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

issues scaling recipes

jasonclick

Apprentice
Reaction score
tell me what I'm missing here. when I scale a recipe it some things go up and some go down. See the screen shots below:

Before scaling:

Scale Settings:

after scaling

When scaling, the point is to make the recipe fit your system. The destination equipment has lower efficiency, so you've gained some weight per gallon to make up for the loss of efficiency.

The next part is an option setting in the Scale function. You have the "Match" box checked, for gravity, color & bitterness. When this is checked, any deficiencies in those values by simply keeping proportions will be adjusted within the abilities of the ingredient. Again, this is matched to your equipment. If you uncheck the box, you'll get a linear adjustment of the ingredients.

I noticed one additional thing. Your destination equipment seems to have a loss to trub value because the mash efficiency is a little higher than the brewhouse. This'll add some specialty malt to the recipe in order to deepen the color since there is more wort in the kettle. Gravity from that increase will be offset by lowering the amount of base malt, thus the overall effect is to increase the specialty malt percentage.

Back