• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast starter

ned

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to home brewing. I made my first ever yeast starter about 36 hours ago of 2L with wyeast 1214. I used fast pitch for my wort. I was planning to brew today but I haven't noticed much color change to the wort. I've been swirling to oxygenate so there is no krausen. How do I know if my starter is ready? Thanks for any advice!

If you can put an airlock on the starter to check if the starter is active, that'd confirm.

A single piece of cling wrap sealed loosely and sealed with a rubber band would also confirm as it fills. It shouldn't take too long, from a couple minutes to less than an hour to see a change.

Aroma also will tell you it's working. If it smells like green apples, then it's mid ferment and ready to pitch.

Hi Ned, I have - on occasion - simply swirled my starter enough to get some action on the slurry at the bottom.  Doing so, typically caused a rush of C02 to rise from the slurry.  All that said, your best bet is to invest in a stir plate.  They are not that expensive.  You can set it and forget it.

Brewed last night. Didn't use a blow off hose and came home to a huge mess tonight. I think the starter worked fine! Thanks for the advice!

ned said:
Brewed last night. Didn't use a blow off hose and came home to a huge mess tonight. I think the starter worked fine! Thanks for the advice!

haha that's the attitude!

Check the specific gravity.  It is easy to miss the yeast activity in a starter but the SG will tell the truth.

Back