• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottling bucket spigot?

TheJake

Apprentice
Reaction score
How often should you remove the bottling bucket spigot to clean it?

I have been removing it each time (which has been twice) and just broke it as I reinstalled it.

So, is it necessary to remove the spigot each time? Or do I just need to be more careful as I reinstall it?

I finally broke one last year after many years of taking it apart after every use.  Well over a hundred batches. Perhaps you forced it too much, or maybe you got a defective unit.

I agree with Maine!

I've been brewing since about 1988 and I've broken one spigot. I broke it in a fit of, "Tighter is better, right?". Wrong!

Now I know that the nut needs to be just tight enough to make good contact between the outside of the spigot, the rubber washer, and the outside of the bucket.

I was under the "tighter is better" assumption. Thanks for the insight!!

Just out of curiosity, what kind was it and what part of it broke? Mine was one of the common blue ones, and the handle snapped right off.

Back