• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

how to change grain absorption.

arctic78

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how I change the grain absorption in my mash profile. I have set everything else to what I want except this :eek:

Thanks.

The constant for grain absorption is not in the mash or equipment profiles.  It is a global setting and can be found by clicking 'options' >> 'advanced'.  There are two figures: one for standard absorption and another for BIAB profiles.  The BIAB grain absorption number is only used when the mash profile is set for 'BIAB with full boil'.

Note to Brad:  It would be good to have this adjustment moved into the equipment profile for those of us who do BIAB with a batch sparge and also have a separate mash tun set-up for larger batches.

Ok thanks for that  :) The reason i ask is because i found my grain absorption to be slightly higher than the setting that beer smith has . I imagine this must differ for a number of reasons .

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Back