Author Topic: Date Brewed Auto update  (Read 4897 times)

Offline n0nexistence

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Date Brewed Auto update
« on: February 25, 2016, 12:48:10 AM »
I utilize the timer on brew day, as I imagine many people do. I also use version updates when making changes to my recipes. I would suggest an option to auto update the date on the last modified recipe to the date you kicked off the timer. I believe this this would help in tracking your brew date easier for when you forget to update the date, even though you did save the file.

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
Re: Date Brewed Auto update
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 06:22:17 AM »
All of my recipes get the date 01/01/01 and all of the measured fields are blank. I use the Brew Log function copy a recipe and modify it there.

When I'm ready to brew, that recipe will always be at the top of a date sort in the folder, which is convenient for finding it, but also a reminder to change the date. Ultimately, I'll have several copies of the same recipe which reflects what I did by date. I don't have to use the version function, unless I'm updating the original recipe.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: Date Brewed Auto update
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 01:04:42 PM »
All of my recipes get the date 01/01/01 and all of the measured fields are blank. I use the Brew Log function copy a recipe and modify it there.

When I'm ready to brew, that recipe will always be at the top of a date sort in the folder, which is convenient for finding it, but also a reminder to change the date. Ultimately, I'll have several copies of the same recipe which reflects what I did by date. I don't have to use the version function, unless I'm updating the original recipe.

This is precisely how I manage my recipes and it works exceedingly well.  I always know that the recipes in the Brew Log folder have been brewed or are waiting to be brewed.   I can easily sort by date or recipe as needed.  This way, my main recipe folders stay intact and cannot get confused with a brew day version.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!