• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewdog DIY Recipes

soundbomber

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Here's a question out of curiosity. I am a big fan of BD Punk IPA as I am sure many others are so when Brewdog released the recipes the other day I was well and truly stoked. I decided to put the recipe for Punk into Brewsmith as I fancy trying it. To my surprise when I had finished inputting the hop schedule I was left with a brew close to 70 IBU's and not the expected 40. Anyone any ideas as to why this would occur? I really want to try the recipe but now not sure to trust the BrewDog recipe or to trust BrewSmith and adjust the recipe to suit.
Any comments ideas welcome.
Thanks

likely is the formula you have chosen of accepted for ibu calculation.
I ran into this when i originally transcribed Jamil's recipes.

The recipes don't give away all of Brewdog's secrets. There are several recipes that just don't line up very well and you just have to go with it.

Here's a few major things I've noticed:

Hop Timing:
Bittering: 60 minutes
Middle: 40 to 30 minutes
End: Seems to use a 10 minute hop stand

There are some recipes that seem to be using a measured IBU value and others are just calculated. Measured IBUs are typically 30 to 50% of calculated. With BD, their interest is in hop flavors, so trust the amounts, even if that means ignoring the calculation. Hop AA% is never stated and could account for more differences.

I’m relying on three data points I think they would pay close attention to:
1) Alcohol content (also, easy to verify)
2) Ingredient types and amounts
3) Original Gravity

Brewhouse Efficiency of 70% for most beers works, but this fluctuates. That BHE allows for 2 liters of trub. Usually it's +/- 2 points, but can go further. Higher gravity beers that are ice distilled in some part are all over the map, from 30 to 75%.

Color: This is really all over the map and seems to be the least reliable stat. Some recipes seem to total the color potential of the grains, but then don’t divide for volume. For instance, Zeitgeist shows 60 SRM, but even using the darkest versions of each ingredient, I can’t get even half of that. To me, the color targets hint at the obvious; Brewdog uses the darkest, richest and boldest grains available. That guide helps shape some unclear design decisions in the recipe book.

Yeast: To get the stated alcohol content, yeasts need to assume 90% attenuation. They really dry out these beers.

pH: This is post fermentation, NOT mash.

#brewfun, you sound like you know your onions (or hops), you think I should just trust the recipe then to get the overall "feel" of the beer rather than relying on the pure maths of BrewSmith. Just seems like the IBU is off the scale compared to a standard brew.
Works for me though, I am more than prepared to give it a go.
Anyone else already done this?

Right. Trust the hop amounts. Their recipes are clearly open to interpretation.

I get a calculated 84 IBU. I know that in any recipe, the IBU level in the wort will be reduced by the time it's bottled. Since Punk is a flagship beer, I believe they know what it is in the bottle and the recipe gets then there.

If you enter half a dozen recipes, you'll find some variation and others are spot on, all with exactly the same profiles in BeerSmith.

Hi guys!
  I have found a treasure: the xml files to upload all the original Brewdog recipes into the Beersmith. Just go to this dropbox folder http://bit.ly/1M7CGWQ Click on the "download" icon to download a zip file with all the recipes. You can also click in the link of each recipe.
    The webpage with the task force to produce this treasure is the following: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/47v78t/brew_dog_recipes_has_anyone_entered_them_into/
    Cheers!
    Marcelo

menossi said:
Hi guys!
  I have found a treasure: the xml files to upload all the original Brewdog recipes into the Beersmith. Just go to this dropbox folder http://bit.ly/1M7CGWQ Click on the "download" icon to download a zip file with all the recipes. You can also click in the link of each recipe.
    The webpage with the task force to produce this treasure is the following: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/47v78t/brew_dog_recipes_has_anyone_entered_them_into/
    Cheers!
    Marcelo

I'm not brave enough to trust this one... someone give a holler if you are and it's clean.  Sorry, Marcelo.

jtoots said:
I'm not brave enough to trust this one... someone give a holler if you are and it's clean.  Sorry, Marcelo.

Reads clean on Bitdefender and Avast. Malwarebytes didn't flag it.

I made a site to search and download the DIY Dog recipes in BeerXML format: https://brewdogrecipes.com/

One of the reasons I made the site it to hopefully improve the recipes with corrections from the homebrewing community. If you would like to help, please post comments on recipes or send me a message with corrections via the contact form on the site.

Back