• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ancho chili in secondary

ned

Apprentice
Reaction score
Last night I added ancho chilies to a one gallon batch of chocolate oatmeal stout that has been in secondary for 2 1/2 weeks. I probably went overboard on the chilies. My question is, about how long should I leave the chilies in? I don't want it to be too overpowering flavor.

I would pull a sample every three days if you think you went overboard. Taste it and see how you feel about it.

Did you put them in whole, chop them up, or puree them?

I've been thinking of making a batch of chili beer, so I am totally interested in how this comes out. Please update when you try it.

Chili chocolate oatmeal stout had been bottled for just over three weeks. Sampled a bottle and it is fantastic. Strong but not overpowering ancho flavor with a bit of heat on the back of the throat (I also added some habanero steeped water to priming sugar solution). Needs some more time to condition in the bottles but definately turned out well

Back