• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Specific Heat on Keggle?

PortlandBrewers

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just switched over from Beer Alchemy to BeerSmith and I have a quick question.  In BeerAlchemy you set the Thermal Mass of your mash tun, which I set to 0 because I heat up my mash water in the keggle, so the vessel is already preheated.  I'm wondering if I should my specific heat to 0 as well in my equipment profile on BeerSmith.  Thanks for the help!

You can set it for whatever you want.  When in the recipe, unclick the box on the mash page for 'Adjust temp for Equip'.  Now BeerSmith will not work the mass and heat capacity of the keggle into the water temperature calculations.

If I understand your question, you are suggesting that you use hot water to preheat your mash tun?  That's exactly what I do.  So, I have my mash tun temperature set to 110 degrees F in my Mash Profile.  I use 130 (+/-) degree water to preheat my tun and my actual mash temperature is on target every time.

Back