• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hydrometer problem????

Fortunete11er

Apprentice
Reaction score
Well I used my hydrometer today and either its broken or I did something wrong.  Finished my 60 minutes at 152* and then measured....it actually floated where there was no reading.  Is this the wrong device maybe or?????  LOL.  I thought it was supposed to sink a bit to give me a number.

I'll bet I used the wrong type of Hydrometer damn it....I think I got a proof hydrometer.  Uhhhhh.

Did you cool the wort down to room temp to take a reading?  You may have the wrong hydrometer, but even with the right model, it will not be very accurate if the wort is not close to the calibration temperature of the hydrometer, which is printed on the scale.

I put it in the feezer to get it down to temp and it still was bobbing way like a hollow rubber duck above the wort, no way to read a single number, it should have sunk even if the temps were not right....right?  LOL

Back