• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est. ABV vs Measured ABV

CMHollows

Apprentice
Reaction score
I programmed a recipe into my beer smith and the estimated gravity results in an est ABV of 7.9% but is measured as 4.7% what is my disconnect?

If you have not brewed the recipe yet, then it is residual information left in the user entry fields for actual OG and FG. readings.  You can blank them out or ignore the 'actual' readings until you brew teh recipe and enter the measured information.

So I am curious, which one is the more accurate reading? I am new to using BeerSmith. Thanks!

The 'est ABV' is an estimate based upon the information you feed into beersmith about your process and the recipe.  The 'Act ABV' is based upon the measurements of OG and FG you have collected and entered into BeerSmith.  Since the 'Act ABV' is based upon real measurements and not a simulation, it is always more accurate.

For a recipe that has not been brewed yet, where you have no actual numbers to enter, you can reset all the actual numbers to the estimated numbers. Go to the Session tab and click on the button on the left, near the top, that says "Clear Session Data". Then every yellow box for entering measured values will be set to the estimated value.

--GF

Back