• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How has the Hops Shortage Affected You??

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So,
  How has the hops shortage affected your homebrewing??

I did one article on it here:  http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/02/23/homebrew-crisis-where-have-all-the-brewing-hops-gone/

But I am thinking about writing another one from the homebrewer's perspective and I was wondering:

- How has the shortage affected you?
      - What are you doing to cope?  What steps are you taking?

Thanks,
Brad

I have not a beer with the hops that usually use for over 6 months.

But I just email the shop I get all my stuff from (local) to see what they have on hand then I decide what I am going to make.

Sub sub sub....  but I have been happy with all my results.  The price the problem.  from .99 cents an ounce to 2.99... ouch

I am going to make the first IPA in a long time this Sat.

Don

The hop shortage hasnt affected me at all. In my city we only have one store that sells the hops I like to use (vacuum sealed leafs or the pucks) and he has never had to great of a selection. I don't usually get to brew what I want but what I can get the ingredients for.

Charlie Mops said:
The hop shortage hasn't affected me at all. In my city we only have one store that sells the hops I like to use (vacuum sealed leafs or the pucks) and he has never had to great of a selection. I don't usually get to brew what I want but what I can get the ingredients for.

Same goes for me I just did a Phat Tyre Amber Ale and when I went for all my ingredients I figured the hops where going to be a problem and when I got there he had a good supply but you are limited to 8 ounces each visit. Then the best part is I only paid $2.50 on ounce in the vacuum sealed bags. 

So far it has primarily affected my wallet - I was stunned when I paid $4-5 per ounce for hops recently.  However, I was able to find most of the hop varieties I wanted, so except for the price it has not been bad at all.

Cheers,
Brad

I am shifting back to my malty roots,  real big low hopped brews.

Fred

bonjour said:
I am shifting back to my malty roots,  real big low hopped brews.

Fred

Yeah!!!  I don't care for high hopped beers.  Nut browns, Scottish... and my low hop, high Cardimum Exotic IPA!!!

I'm planning a trip to Madison for a 3 day brewery tour of about 7 breweries / brewpubs and to go to a great shop for a supply of ingredients to last a few brews.  I'm hoping they will have the hops I want.

So far it hasn't hindered me much.  I have a pretty good supply of hops, but I am planting 2 rhizomes for future years to mitigate any future shortages.

Back