• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing over garvity and diluting in fermenter help!

Fents

New Forum Member
Reaction score
G'day, new here, been using beersmith 1 for years and years and just upgraded to Beersmith2.

So im having a little problem as i brew over gravity and dilute into the fermenter.

I brew 68L's at 1.060 and dilute to 80L's @ 1.050 into the fermenter.

What i want BSM2 to actually do is tell me at the end of my boil i should have 68L's @ 1.060 @ say 45IBU's......

Then in the fermentation section say add 12L's to bring it to 80L's @ 1.050 @ sat 35IBU's.

I have my recipe and volumes all worked out to display 68L @ 1.060 but then in the equip profile i have setup i use the 'Top Up Water' option under fermenting/botlling and then it automatically changes my final volume to 80L's which is correct but not until i ferment it!

Have a attached a recipe just in case....cheers

Attachments

• #001 APA.bsmx
    15.9 KB · Views: 183
I'm not sure I fully understand but if you are talking about diluting the beer after brewing you can use the dilution tool to help complete that calculation.  Top up water is before fermentation, and it does not technically dilute the OG since the OG is based on the brewhouse efficiency which includes losses (and dilution).

I probably would set up the basic recipe as you like and then use the dilution tool to dilute the finished beer or wort.

Brad

I think what he's asking is for a post boil, pre dilution gravity/volume prediction in the recipe.

This goes along with a desire to see incremental gravity predictions for sugar additions.

• Post sparge, pre kettle sugar (and/or malt extract)
  • Post boil, with kettle sugar, pre fermenter sugar
  • Alcohol prediction for sugars added after primary (including priming sugars)

As it is now, all sugars are reflected in pre and post boil gravity. This doesn't reflect the process as completely as it could and requires manipulating ingredient amounts to see if the prediction matches the measurement, temporarily. Additionally, this also artificially increases the mash efficiency because the sugar is reflected in the gravity.

It seems like incremental gravity predictions is a natural addition to the Vols tab. The mash tab should reflect pre kettle sugar gravity by default.

One major improvement this would provide is the ability to review multiple recipe mash stats, without having to change sugar amounts in multiple recipes. This would avoid inadvertently saving changes to recipes already brewed.

The dilution tool is exactly what i need :

12439478_10154107378846834_7536575485999481482_n.jpg

but was wondering if we can intergrate it into the brew step sheets under the pitch yeast OR fermentation section i,e the sheet would say add 12L water to achive 80L's @ 1.051 and whatever diluted IBU it works it out to be :

12063850_10154107378931834_6281354978128219333_n.jpg

Sorry if its confusing!

Back