• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Star san question

head1855

Apprentice
Reaction score
I used star san as directed to ready a keg for, well, kegging. Then I pressurized and ran it through the lines and tap until empty. I then re-pressurized because I decided to give my beer a couple more days in the fermenter (after taking a reading). My question is should I redo the star san or is the keg (and lines) still good from 2 days ago?

Guess you all could tell I'm new to this. This is my first batch and I don't want to mess it up.

If you left it sealed up, it's good to go.

By the way, you really don't need to run the entire contents through your lines.  Just make sure your lines are clean first.  I only put about a gallon in my clean fermenters.  Then I seal it up and add about 10 psi to it.  I pick it up and flip it over a few times to swish it all around the inside.  Then I hook it up to my tap, without using C02 and let the residual pressure push star san out, until the pressure drops enough that it can't push it anymore.

You can leave the star san that's left in the keg and beer lines, until ready to fill.  Just remember to not drink anything that comes out of the beer lines, until the beer has pushed the remaining star san out and you have good beer coming out.

Next question... I just transferred the brown ale to the keg and put it in the kegerator. I know that the CO2 will mix better if it is cold but can go ahead and put the pressure to it now or should I wait until in the morning when the beer is cold?

My keezer can hold 5 kegs.  I typically have 7 or 8 beers in kegs at a time.  When I don't have room in my keezer, I pressurize my keg to about 20 psi and then roll it around on the floor.  I'll do this a few times over about 2 days.  If the pressure drops due to absorption of the C02 into the beer, I'll repressurize it to 20 lbs.  After two days, I'll reduce the psi to about 12 and let it sit, until I have room in my keezer.

Back