• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Does this fermented beer look right?

SnapBackBrew

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm fairly new to homebrewing and have had a couple successful attempts but this is the first time I've seen this. I'm making an IPL and have been fermenting for about 9days and although it's still releasing the co2 it's not steady bubbling (very slow). Also it looks like greenish brown slime like substance is sitting at the top. Can anyone tell me where I either went wrong or if this is natural??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
ummm.....I'm fairly new to brewing but i ain't seen nothing like that with my brews. What's it smell like?

That is krausen. It's a sign of healthy fermentation.

Since it's highly hopped, the green stuff is likely hops and yeast.

Keep the fermenter closed. Even though the air lock is going slowly, if you're at lager temperatures, this is to be expected.

I'm not so sure. It looks a bit too solid to be krausen. I wouldn't pitch it quite yet though. Wait until everything settles and give it a taste. Then you'll know.

Maine Homebrewer said:
I'm not so sure. It looks a bit too solid to be krausen. I wouldn't pitch it quite yet though. Wait until everything settles and give it a taste. Then you'll know.

Yes. Keep it until it clears.

Krausen has all sorts of looks to it. Beautiful stuff, really.

Attachments

• Thick Krausen 2.jpg
    Thick Krausen 2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Thick Krausen.jpg
    Thick Krausen.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Anchor Open Fermentation.jpg
    Anchor Open Fermentation.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • schneider_yeastskimming2.jpg
    schneider_yeastskimming2.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 4
Krausen has many different looks depending on the ingredients and the quantity of the ingredients used in making the beer. Your Krausen looks perfectly normal. I remember when I first started I was curious as to what things looked like and what was going on. After I started leaving the lid on and allowing things to ferment my beers improved.

Back