• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

auto-update not working

wizardofza

Apprentice
Reaction score
I noticed on your site that there is a build v036 available.  I'm currently running 1.4 build 028.  In my options I have it set to download updates and notify me before installing but I was never notified.  When I select  "Tools | Update Beersmith from the Internet" it goes through the list of items but doesn't find any available updates.

Searching for Updates...
Update may take several minutes.
Validating Registration Code...
No new updates for BeerSmith.exe
No new updates for Grain.bsm
No new updates for Hops.bsm
No new updates for Misc.bsm
No new updates for Style.bsm
No new updates for Water.bsm
No new updates for Yeast.bsm
No new updates for Mash.bsm
No new updates for Equipment.bsm
There are no updates available at this time

Any idea why this is?

Thanks!  Awesome program, keep up the great work!

Hi,
  I'm not sure why your update is not working...though I will look into it.  It should have at least updated you to build 033. Are you running under Vista by any chance??

Also - I have not posted the auto-update for build 036 yet, though I hope to do so in the next few days.  In the meantime, you can always go to the main downloads page and follow the instructions there to upgrade.

Thanks,
Brad

Thanks for the reply Brad. 

I'm current running XP and I can't recall the auto-update ever working correctly.  I've always had to manually download and install the update.  That's not a big deal really, I just thought maybe there was a setting or something that I was overlooking.

Thanks,
  I started looking at it today, and there appears to be a problem with the post-download update code that updates the executable.  It certainly worked at one time, but Windows has changed the way it handles certain file operations over the last year or two for security reasons so its possible that caused some problems.  I certainly will look at correcting it in the next update.

In the meantime, please go ahead and manually update from our downloads page:
    http://www.beersmith.com/download.htm

Thanks,
Brad

All,
  Also I had a problem with my FTP server several weeks back.  Once I reset it everything worked fine again...

Brad

Back