• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Primary fermentation (How Many Days??)

rjfvt

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi I made a Pilsner IPA with a 1lb each of golden Oats and Flaked Rye. I used Wyeast Labs 1332 yeast and set everything up in the Beer Smith software. The instructions said 4 days in the primary fermentation but the yeast is still working great. It bubbles every four seconds.
How long should I go on the primary fermentation?   

Let it go on the primary until your gravity readings stabilise. I usually let all my brews go for a week on the primary. I check on day 5 and 6 to rack out on day 7.

rjfvt said:
The instructions said 4 days in the primary fermentation but the yeast is still working great. It bubbles every four seconds.
How long should I go on the primary fermentation?

That's a profile in Beersmith that says 4 days. You can edit this profile under the fermentation tab. And also create a new profile for fermentation if you wanted to. Recipes might say it'll take x amount of time, but it really isn't done till it's done.

GrimmReaperSound said:
Let it go on the primary until your gravity readings stabilise.

This is exactly what you want to do. Take a reading and take another reading 3-5 days later. If it hasn't changed, you're done. Most of my brews take between 7 and 10 days but I've had some go longer than two or three weeks.

Being that I ferment in a big carboy, I'm reluctant to take samples. It's not like I can turn a spigot or something. So what I do is wait until the yeast has settled out, the brew is getting clear, and the bubbles at the top have subsided. I probably wait longer than I need to, but it works for me.

Back