• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How are IBU's from boiling affected during a long whirlpool

KBLanier

Apprentice
Reaction score
The question is I boil hops for say 60 and the software estimates 30 IBU. How much will that original 30 IBU increase during a 30 or 45-minute whirlpool if the temperature remains above 180 degrees. I like to add hops after flameout and just wondering how much of an increase that original 30 IBU would get. Would I be safe to assume that the calculated time for the original 60 boil plus 30-minute whirlpool would equal or be close to 90 minutes worth of boil when formulating in beersmith2?

Not by much. Most utilization happens during the first 30 minutes, then tapers off.

Tinseth postulates that no more than 4% utilization happens after 60 minutes. Bamforth says that utilization is even faster, slowing dramatically after 35 minutes. Bamforth is more nuanced, since he rates the isomerization of all three Alpha Acids separately.

This is the graph represented by the Tinseth formula.

Attachments

• Alpha Acid Utilization Graph.gif
    Alpha Acid Utilization Graph.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 346
Back