• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profile

TimGirling

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've just recently started designing my own water profiles but I'm a little lost on what volume size I should use to calculate the correct amount.

For a 5 gallon batch, would I use 8-9 gallons (before mash and sparge) or the volume that goes into the fermentor?

Thanks,

Tim

Water adjustments are based on the total amount of water used for the batch. Think of it as the same that would come out of the tap.

Along these same lines, say you're mashing with 8 gallons. Then you're sparging with some more water and topping up the boil kettle with some more, such that you've used a total of 16 gallons. You figure the salt additions based on the total 16 gallons. Should you also "pro-rate" your salt additions, so you add half to the mash, then add the other half to the boil kettle after you've sparged and topped it up?

Back