• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hot break and the solids that appear

bugnout

Apprentice
Reaction score
Seems like when I get a good hot break, I get lots of solids suspended in the beer. looks and feels like fat or gelatin of some sort. When the hot break isn't as pronounced, I don't see the solids, or they don't present as large of a particle.

So what is going on? why do I see it so pronounced when there is a good hot break?

Hot (and cold) break is the coagulation of proteins in the wort.  Some of what you may be seeing can be caused by differing protein levels in your base malts.  Some malts, such as continental pilsner malts traditionally have a higher percentage of proteins and therefore contribute to a much more evident hot break.  In general, having a large amount of hot break is good, as it means that proteins which are partially soluble are coming out of solution, coagulating into large flocks which will settle out post boil.  In my experience, the faster you reach a good rolling boil, the larger and greater amount of hot break material you will see.  Most of the time, it will resemble egg drop soup.  With a poorer hot break, achieving a strong cold break is important to remove the suspended proteins from the wort.

Equally important is the cold break after the boil.  Here many of the smaller protein molecules are shocked out of solution, will coagulate, and settle out of the wort.  This helps with reducing the probability of protein haze in your finished beer. 

Additives to the later part of your boil, such as Irish moss or whirliflock will help to bring these smaller protein pieces together to settle out.

I use a keggel with a dip tube and a counter flow wort chiller  for my boils with the addition of a whirlifloc tablet. On my last brew session I had a problem with the trub getting into my line going to the counter flow wort chiller and ending up in my fermenter. How can I help eliminate or minimize the trub from going into my chiller?

bugnout said:
Thanks, I'll have to check out Whirlifloc.

A lot of suspended proteins usually means you had a strong boil and it is a good sign. Certain exceptions exist depending on ingredients used in the mash or added to the kettle, however.

Whirlfloc with a good wort chiller will drop most of those suspended proteins like a rock. After bringing your wort down to pitching temp with your chiller, make a quick whirlpool in the kettle for a minute or so with your sanitized mash paddle/spoon and let settle for 20 minutes with the lid on. I have found Whirlfloc is a night and day difference compared to Irish Moss as far as wort clarity. It turns cold break material into a crazy thick cake that you can almost lift out of the kettle like a pancake.

Seems like when I get a good hot break, I get lots of solids suspended in the beer. looks and feels like fat or gelatin of some sort. When the hot break isn't as pronounced, I don't see the solids, or they don't present as large of a particle.

Could have to do with PH.I read an article recently about hot break and wort PH ( can't remember where).It talked about the appearance of the hot break in respecto PH.Lower PH produces a silky smooth foam in the boil and higher PH produces a rocky foam with a lot of dark splotches.If you hot break is smooth and evenly colored,PH is probably ok.As for the floaties...I get 'em no matter what.

Back