• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lager fermentation at low temperature

Obnxsh

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've had this lager fermenting at 10-12c for 3 weeks now and it's still not clear and I have sediment sitting above my tap someone told me to leave it for 6 weeks before bottling. What's your experience in this matter?

Did you separate hot break from the wort before fermentation? If you didn't, then you'll want to rack the beer and add finings. If you left the trub behind in the kettle, you can skip racking.

The classic next step is to let it warm to 17 to 18 C for 2 to 3 days, then lower the temperature to 4 C for another three weeks. This will dry the beer out and reduce any diacetyl the yeast may have created.

I have a cider that I am fermenting with lager yeast, which has been kept in the low 50s (50F = 10C).  I started it on March 8.  Currently the yeast has mostly settled, and now the apple solids are settling out on top of the yeast cake. I figure by next weekend I will rack it, and that that point it will really clear up. Then after a couple weeks in the secondary I will keg it, assuming that it is ready.

Back