• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lager fermentation temperature ramp

wolf

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just constructed a temperature control for an old freezer so I can ferment lagers, and I'm wondering about the temperature ramp provided by BeerSmith.

The primary fermentation and diacetyl rest at a higher temperature for a few days makes sense to me. But I can't find documentation for a slowly decreasing temperature beginning at the diacetyl rest temperature. On toe contrary, on Wyeast's web site, they state that the "secondary fermentation can take from one to three weeks at temperatures starting between 39-41°F (4-5°C) and slowly falling to as low as 33°F (1°C)." That is, according to Wyeast, the secondary fermentation begins as a much lower temperature. I'm a little worried that I'm starting at 15°C and slowly dropping to about 4°C if in fact I should begin with about 5°C and end at 1°C.

Where do I find documentation for the temperature ramp suggested by BeerSmith?

The fermentation profile provided in BeerSmith is just a model.  Find a source for a profile that you trust and modify the fermentation profile to fit what you WANT to do.  I never put much faith in the stock profiles which came with the program, but modified them all to represent how I brew and ferment.

In full disclosure, I don't hang a lot on the fermentation profiles but use my own graphs which I print out on the back of the brew day sheet printed from BeerSmith. The chart is marked with the steps (time and temp) which I want to follow.  I then clip this onto my fermentation chamber when I put the carboy in and plot the actual temperatures of the carboy.  This gives me an actual profile vs a theoretical profile in BeerSmith.  When I go to rebrew that recipe, I can look up the past brews in my loose leaf notebook and copy the time and temperature steps onto the new printed brew sheet.

Oginme said:
The fermentation profile provided in BeerSmith is just a model.  Find a source for a profile that you trust and modify the fermentation profile to fit what you WANT to do.
I prefer to find models to modify rather than making uneducated guesses, though. BeerSmith provides one such model, and I'm curious where it came from.

Back