• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash temp

Ron

Apprentice
Reaction score
Want protein rest of 110f  for 20  min, then raise to 152f. Beer smith says to add 210f water, temp seems high to get my mash temp to 152f. Cant heat mash tun, this is infusion. any thoughts, Thanks

Reduce the amount of water you are using for your protein rest.  Then reset the amount of water for the rise to 152F.  This will reduce the temperature of the water needed to reach your mash temp as you will have more mass to add at the second infusion.

Just what are you brewing that requires a protein rest?

Most modern malts do not need the rest and most beer styles do not really need it either. I do not bother with it when I brew. Maybe someday when I have a brew stand with pumps and all set up all the time I might experiment with it, but everything I've read says that modern malts do not require it, just heat to strike temp, mash in, batch sparge and boil away.

Thanks for the responses, Brad has stated that a infusion of 110f for 20 min adds a couple of points in your mash efficiency. I know not needed but thought I would try it. Just thought that 200 was a little high.

I've done step mashes to enhance ferulic acid production (the precursor of the compound which gives the clove flavor in a Bavarian wheat beer) during the 110 - 113F rest. It worked well in a wheat beer and added a hint of clove to some other European lagers which did not contain wheat. That may or may not be a good thing. I also got better efficiency, but it would take many more repetitions to prove to my satisfaction that the increase in efficiency was caused by the step mash.

I've also done protein rests at 130 - 140 for less-modified Bohemian malt and got improved efficiency. Can't say the beer was noticeably different with a protein rest.

Back