Author Topic: IBU additive?  (Read 3438 times)

Offline nlane

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
IBU additive?
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »
I made a big calculation error in last week's batch and realized that I had enough gravity to split the batch into three (had planned to do 2). To make up for the hops, I was thinking about doing a boil of about a gallon and use it for makeup when I rack the three carboys. I set up the batch with the actual boil volume I used, batch size of 15 gallons, actual hop schedule, and got an IBU. I subract that from my target IBU and come up with what I think I need to make up. Then I run the numbers with a boil of gravity 1.00 and final gravity being my final target, and fool with the hops to get the IBU to equal my "makeup".

Will this work?

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: IBU additive?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:48:07 PM »
Hi,
  I'm not sure I followed your entire post, but yes in theory you should be able to boil some hops up and add it to the fermented beer.  Personally I would add a little dry malt extract to it since you get better hop extraction with a bit of malt.  Of course then you will need to let it ferment out again since you are adding wort to the beer.

Cheers!
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline nlane

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Re: IBU additive?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:04:53 AM »
Sorry my post was so cryptic, I was doing it from memory. Basic question really is; if I add the tea with 16 IBUs to wort with 35 IBUs, do I end up with 51 IBUs? I used bitterness tool, 15 gallon batch, 1.5 gal boil volume, OG 1.00, calculated 16 IBU. Main batch was 9.5 gal boil, OG 1.072, IBU 35.

If I knew I was tripling the recipe, I would have added 2.5 oz more hops. But the tea requires only one oz, with the same schedule of additions. Sounds like a way to save a lot of hops.

thanks
Norman

modification