• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash to boil

Auldyin

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a bit of a problem.
I can mash 50 to 70 liters batches.
My problem is I can only boil 2 separate 25 liter batches. I do not have a 50 liter kettle.
How do I guarantee I have the same mix in each boil batch when I sparge?
I want to be sure that 2no 22 liter boils are the same

Thanks

collect your runnings and mix them together in a 50 liter vessel. Or save the wort in 2 -25 liter vessels- plastic pails or whatever, then transfer the wort to your 50 liter cleaned mash tun where it can mix. Then you can boil in 2 separate 25 liter batches.  Somehow all the runnings must be mixed together, and your preboil volume and gravity checked and adjusted with water if required before boiling. Otherwise you can't do it because your runnings constantly change gravity from about 1.070 to 1.000 when done, during sparge. Eventually if you want to make double batches you will be well advised to get a 60 qt kettle (15 us gallons). Mine is a restaurant 60 qt s.s pot to which I added thermometer , bazooka screen and ball valve, and enscribed volume markings on the outside.  My pot holds 60 quarts and is 1/2" from the top when boil starts, 14.87 gallons preboil volume and end up at 12.75 gallons after the boil. Batch yield 12 gallons, 46 liters.  CHEERS!

Thanks for that twhitaker,

You have confirmed what I already suspected.
I'll look into this. My problem is going to come in trying to lift and move around 40 to 50 liters of liquid in one kettle.
My mash tun is on a hoist which makes it easy to raise and lower.
I'll think of something.

Thanks

Use a bailing container such as a beer pitcher to scoop the wort out and transfer it. There are graduated ones that you can also measure how many liters you are bailing out of your large vessel into the boil pot. I have an old tupperware 2 liter one that works well for transfers, recently I bought a $65 pump that was originally designed for solar water heat systems but works well with beer transfers. Uses 12 volts DC. The silicon hoses cost  about $2 a foot though.

Thanks again twhitaker,
when I get a minute I can email you a picture of my set up.
What I neglected to tell you is that I am mashing in a large tun but a bag and I'm trying to find an easy way to sparge with this system without too much physical lifting (I'm getting on a bit) If I can invent a way of lifting the bag clear after the mash, then sparging I'm home and dry as the pre-boil will still be in the mash tun with the grain lifted clear.
Bye the way, where are you, I'm a Scot but living in Sweden

when I get a minute I can email you a picture of my set up.

Don't just email the pics. Post them on the thread. I'm sure others besides me would be interested in seeing your setup.

Ok I will,

I'll be brewing this weekend and will take some pictures during the process

For brew in a bag mashing large quantities, Use a rope and a pulley set up. come-along, hand winch, block and tackle type thing that you can tie off once lifted

Back