• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB mash temp calc question

theotherbradsmith

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I keep missing my mash temperature by 5 degrees too much. So I took a look at my equipment set up in beersmith2 and noticed that my mashed tun temperature  was set to 72°. But since I am heating up the strike water in my 10 gal stainless steel mash tun  should my mash turn temperature be around 200°or so? 
I am using a 10 gallon bayou classic with a false bottom and I bazooka filter .

Things to look at:

1.  Make sure in your recipe on the 'mash' tab that you have 'Adjust temp for Equip' unchecked.  If this is unchecked then the temperature of the mash tun will be set for the strike temperature in the calculation (this does not affect the number in the user entry field for equip temp).

2.  Make sure that your grain temperature is accurately reflected in the user entry field in the mash tab.

3.  The mash tun weight and heat capacity value in the equipment profile still needs to be accurate.  Even though this does not need to be raised, BeerSmith still takes this value into account as part of the equation for calculating the total heat capacity of the system.

Back