• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Garetz calculation off? 5 minute addition shows as 0 IBUs

gozer

Apprentice
Reaction score
for a 10AA hop Garetz is showing 0 IBUs for a 5 min boil addition. And it's 0 all the way up to 11 where it changes to 12.9!

Changing to steep/whirlpool also gives a non-0 value.

I have attached a chart demonstrating the IBU contributions based upon the three most popular models.  Note that the Garetz model does not calculate any contributions below 10 minutes.

Attachments

• IBU models.gif
    IBU models.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 313
You can read more about the comparison of the three major IBU models here: http://rhbc.co/wiki/calculating-ibus

Thanks for the info! Good to know about Garetz... doesn't make a bit of sense, but good to know.

Seems silly that if I take the exact same addition and change it from 5m boil to 5m "steep/whirlpool" it goes from 0 to 15 IBUs.

Guess I'll stick with Tinseth.

The IBU contribution calculation is not a part of the original Garetz model (or any of the models), but added on based upon information based upon current studies. 

Back