• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

help, beersmith2 spare volume is negative???

redkone1

Apprentice
Reaction score
i'm new to this forum, i'm using beer smith2 and after adding my equipment, its giving me a negative volume for fly sparge. i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, would love some advice.

Post up the equipment and mash profiles you are trying to use.  Right off the top of my head, it would seem that youa re using too much water for your infusions, leaving no spare water requirement for performing a sparge.

When the total amount of mash and deadspace water exceeds the total needed for preboil volume, the result is negative numbers.

• Make sure the batch size is correct.
  • The total water to grist ration shouldn't exceed 3:1 (1:1 to 2:1 is better for enzymes)
  • Mashtun dead space refers to unrecoverable wort. If it is recoverable, then it is just part of your water to grist ratio.

Thanks for the quick response...it was both the dead space and top off volume for kettle...much appreciated

Back