• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop quantity in percentage

Roadrocket

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
When a recipe gives the hop quantities in percentage is that the percentage of weight or the percentage of bitterness. Hope thats not a stupid question.

I'd like to see a recipe you're asking about, to be sure.

Nearly all recipes will give a % specification that is related to the Alpha Acid (AA) content of that hop. Virtually all hops you buy will show the crop year and the AA percentage. With the year, you can use the hop age tool to gauge where the actual AA% is. With the correct percentage, you can adjust the hop amount in a recipe to match the target IBU level.

Hop AA% calculators will show you calculations that are astronomical. Where the calculations matter most is for additions in the first 40 minutes of the boil, but only up to 50 or 60 IBU. Beyond that, the bitterness is harder to perceive, yet there is some magic because the hop tends to add flavor in amazing ways.

Even without adjustment, knowing the AA% is important to know how much to add. An ounce of North American hop with 14% AA added at 60 minutes, will be considerably more bitter than a German Hop of 5% added for the same time.

Thanks Brufun. I didn't explain myself very well. I meant a recipe such as this:

Start of boil Perle or Admiral 70 %
15 minutes Cascade 18 %
Flameout Amarillo 4.5 % Saaz 7.5%

I'd take that to mean the percentage of total IBUs or AAUs in the recipe. However, it might be important to know which IBU calculation they used.

Back