• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Re-priming

shanehallam

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey peeps. Ok so about 13 days ago I primed my beer and bottled it but it seems the bottles that I had used I'd not hold a seal too well. So what I would like to know is there any way I can move them to better bottels and re-prime them?  I do fine if I force carbonate the beer is really great. But I can't really carry it with me all the time.

Please any help

Why do you think they don't hold a seal?

What type of beer is it? If it's a big beer, with a high OG, it's very possible it needs time to carbonate. I've read of people with big beers taking up to 6 months to carbonate.

In terms of re-prime, I've seen people suggest slowly pouring the bottles back into a bottling bucket, but I would not recommend that. You can also try to use the tablets to carbonate the individual bottles.

My suggestion is to sit on them and give them time. Unless you have definitive reason as to why they aren't holding a seal, I think you'll be fine with patience.

hi bobo

thanx for the reply

I know that the bottle don't seal for when I squeeze them I can hear air coming out. its just a Pale ale

Aaaah, okay. So you're not using the standard glass bottles.

I've heard of the bottles you're talking about but I'm not familiar with them. Someone else might have better insight to it, but you think it's the bottles and not the caps? Just thinking you can replace the caps and distribute some sugar solution into each individual bottle.

Another suggestion would be to transfer your beer into new bottles, by slowly pouring down the neck from one bottle into the new ones. Then you'd have to distribute some sugar solution into each individual bottle before capping. Personally I think this would be safer than pouring all your bottles back into a bottling bucket.

If you can force carbonate, just release pressure and fill into bottles slowly and gently and cap. Then you can take your fresh draft beer with you without sediment. I do it all the time. Once filled, slowly turn the bottle upside down and you will know if the seal is working.

Back