• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Check my homework? Grain yield and properties

Mofo

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks to anyone willing to give this a gander!

I have a new 25kg bag of pale malt from Malteurop. I've added it to my list of grains in BS2 but want to make sure I've dialed in the right numbers for yield and properties. My supplier didn't have the malt lab report (that's China for you) so I got it directly from Malteurop after emailing them the batch ID on the sack. I've attached their report. Because the measurement units are European, I've had to convert a few numbers.

Moisture
This was the one straightforward number: 4.8

Diastatic Power
This is given as 263 WK. I converted it to Lintner thus: (263 + 16) / 3.5 = 79.7

Protein
The report lists both total protein, % dry basis and soluble protein (dry). I assumed I need the total protein: 10.1

Potential SG and Yield %
This is where it got sketchy. I first entered the Yield. The report lists "Extract, fine grind, % dry basis" or DBFG, as 80.6. That's the number I put for Yield %. I next calculated the Potential SG using the DBFG and moisture content (MC). The formula I found online is (DBFG - MC - 0.002) x brewhouse efficiency x 46.214. It uses all decimals. I understood brewhouse efficiency to be what BS2 refers to as estimated mash efficiency. So...

(0.806 - 0.0048 - 0.002) x .74 x 46.214 = 27.331 or SG 1.027

However, when I entered this as the Potential SG, my Yield % changed from 80.6 to 58.7. What gives? I've a feeling I've bollixed it.

I'll first use this grain with a pale ale I've brewed several times. The last time I brewed it I used 4kg of Maris Otter that had a Potential of 1.038 and Yield of 82.5. With this sack of Malteurop, if my numbers are correct, I'll use 5.37kg to get the same estimated OG. Quite a difference! I have 25kg of this grain. I'd like to make sure I dial in the right numbers for it.

Again, thanks for any help!

FYI, my info source is a malt analysis article by Greg Noonan on Morebeer.com.

Attachments

• Malteurop analysis.png
    Malteurop analysis.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 516
When entering your potential sg, do NOT use your estimated efficiency for the calculation.  This number represents the maximum efficiency of the grain and BeerSmith will use your calculated mash efficiency to figure out the actual amount of sugars which are extracted.

The formula you found on line is designed for doing the calculations yourself.  In this case, the software is doing the actual extraction calculation for you.

Normally, if you enter the yield % (DBFG), Beersmith will automatically calculate the potential sg.

Thanks Ogin. Putting the DBFG % from the malt report gives me a Potential SG of 1.037, much more like other pale malts I've worked with. I'd started putting in numbers and thought I had to put them all in; didn't realize it was calculating it for me.

Back