• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Missed gravity

Jivinwilly70

Apprentice
Reaction score
I missed my original gravity by a lot. :-[  In BeerSmith blogs you had suggestions to fix missed gravity, and for too low you talked about adding dme to the fermenter. I missed doing that, and wonder if I could add the dme to my secondary?  Or am I too late to fix it?  Thanks

maybe too late for this batch, but a lesson learned for next time.  keep some of that dme handy and make sure to take gravity readings before and after boiling.  optimally, if you need to make any adjustments, it's done before boiling.  if you start to see a trend, adjust your equipment profile accordingly.

What equipment adjustments would I need to make to control gravity?  In this instance, I think I sparged incorrectly.  Thanks for the advice.

You need to take accurate measurements and record them for each batch. That will help you understand what's going wrong and you can make adjustments accordingly.

Back