Author Topic: Worst commercial or craft beer you've had?  (Read 14185 times)

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Worst commercial or craft beer you've had?
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »
Ok,
  So what is the worst commercial/craft beer (non-homebrew) you have ever tried?

Mine was some kind of cheap malt liquor in college (don't recall the name, but still remember the terrible taste).

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 10:49:42 AM by BeerSmith »
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Re: Worst commercial or craft beer you've had?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 07:41:11 AM »
Purely Subjective opinion here!
Old Milwaukee
Cheep: Yes
Bad Taste: Yes
Bad Hangover: Yes
Drink it because don't know any better
Priceless!
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Shakey_Dog

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:03:39 PM »
Bud
Cask vanillia ale
Mickey's
Sam Adams Pale ale

I am sure I will think of more

RedGlove

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:11:05 PM »
Without a doubt "Brown Sugga". I couldn't give it away.

Offline Charlie Mops

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 10:32:59 AM »
minhas creek
*vomits*
A long time ago way back in history, when all there was to drink was nothing but cups of tea, along came a man by the name Charlie Mops and he invented a wounderfull drink and he made it out of hops. He ought to be Admiral, a Sultoun, or a King, and to his prasies we shall alwas sing.

spinnerbrewing

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:59:41 PM »
The worst beer I have ever had was in College. Pabst Ice back when ice beers were popular.  I bought a 30 pack and took me forever to drink.  I had some underage guests of my roommate who stole one and couldn't finish it.  You know it is bad beer when an 19 year old won't drink it.  I also remember Olympia I bought once for .99 a 6-pack was pretty bad. 

Never really had a bad craft brew.  Some are not my style but most are decent.

Offline bonjour

• Global Moderator
    • Beer du Jour
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:45:34 PM »
I ordered a sampler from a now defunct brewpub,  everything from a light lager to a stout,  There was NO taste differential, none. 
Five "fine" examples of some of the strongest ButterBeer you could ever find.

Fred
BJCP Judge

gtox

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 10:50:13 AM »
This will bring back memories, Fall City Beer and Old Style the Chicago special. Man cheap and bad all for one low price.

Offline Charlie Mops

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »
I almost forgot about Old English
A long time ago way back in history, when all there was to drink was nothing but cups of tea, along came a man by the name Charlie Mops and he invented a wounderfull drink and he made it out of hops. He ought to be Admiral, a Sultoun, or a King, and to his prasies we shall alwas sing.

Shakey_Dog

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 05:19:02 AM »
Capital Brewery in DC.  All thin all taste the same.

Greg

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »
It's brewed by Carlton united breweries in Australia and thank god they export it
because no one here in Australia will drink it. A DRUM ROLL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOSTERS   :P  and everything else they brew it's watered down cats piss.

Cheers
Greg

AND MAY THE BREW BE WITH YOU ! ;D

harebare

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 11:03:37 PM »
A few come to mind...

Celis White: It was years ago when this turkey first came out. I read a glowing review in Bon Apetit and ran out and bought a 6'er for more than anyone should have paid for 6x12 at that time. Took it to a party and couldn't GIVE the other 5 bottles away. Put me off Belgian Bilge (ale) for years.

Fat Tire: Again, my apologies to the Belgian fans but I wouldn't wash my jock in this stuff. In fact, it tastes like I did.

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA: Just recently was fleeced into paying the better part of a Tom Jefferson for 6x12 of this filth. (I was outside Philly and times were tough.) They claim to be the finest craft brewery in Delaware. Well it IS a VERY small state, isn't it? I think they put dogfish IN THE BEER. The hottest food at an Indian restaurant in University City couldn't kill the gym shoe after taste of this trub water.

Oh. And Corona. Afer a few pints some day, I'll tell you how I became associated with this plonk in my motorcycle circle. Just plain Bud-nasty. Mexicans should know better.

- Hare (Me? Opinionated? Why I NEVER....)

Shakey_Dog

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »
I agree with Fat Tire.

I love Belgians but that is no Belgian.  It is just a bad Amber :P

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »
I don't know the distribution of Fat Tire, but when I lived in Boulder I loved the stuff.  That of course was before I started brewing and I haven't tried it since, so I may have a different opinion if I tried it again (I also liked Molson Ice at the time).
And now that I'm on the East Coast I haven't tried a Dogfish Head that I didn't like, though I haven't tried the 90 min IPA, I just brew my own.
Like most homebrewers I'm no fan of the "American Lager" style that includes such abominations as Coors, Bud, Miller...
While I will say that our local Shipyard Export is overrated, the same company makes a Fuggle IPA that is to die for.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

harebare

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 09:20:01 PM »
I know I sound harsh on Belgian ales and I really don't mean to be. I learned to brew in SE Michigan (nobody says they live in Detroit in polite company) and it was Belgian territory. We even had a bar with authentic feather bowling lanes!

I'm sorry. I'm a creatin. I just don't really see what the big deal is. I can drink a Chimay and appreciate it. (I got a bottle of Chimay Premiere at TJ's for $12 for my brew partner to try. He drank it. Looked at me and said, "You paid HOW much for this stuff?) But I don't really like it. I like really light, really strong, really crisp and really hoppy - what my brew partner calls "in your face, party in your mouth" ales. I think the style now is called "Californial Pale Ale."

Lots of people don't like my beers. Too bitter, too foamy, too strong, "Ew... It kind of tastes like grapefruit at the end." (I work HARD to get that grapefruit finish, thankyouverymuch!)

I'm not offended. I don't like to share. ;)

- Hare

modification