• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using a cloud drive as BS directory

Notting Hill

Apprentice
Reaction score
While I know that I can share (some of) my recipes via Beersmith's cloud function, has anyone had any issues using a cloud drive (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) to share data between the two copies of the program that I am allowed to use? This way I would not need to constantly up and download recipes. Also, I would have access to any changes that I make in ingredients, profiles, etc.

Sorry Brad, this might curtail your sales of cloud storage, but that would still be needed for sharing recipes between BS desktop and BS Mobile.

BTW, I did see some posts advising against a cloud drive due to the possibility of contention and overwriting of files. However, one copy of BS is on my home computer and one is on my work computer, so I would never have BS open on two computers at once. The BS cloud solution is great for recipes, but not for ingredients, profiles, etc. Maybe allowing for cloud drives would be a good future upgrade? :-D

I have used BS for over 5 years now, worked perfectly.  Read many posts about folks loosing all recipes suddenly one day... I decided  that manually backing up my BS folder was a pain so I setup my Google Drive to sync it... Within a few days, ALL my recipes were gone.

Luckily I had a manual backup from just prior to setting up the GD sync so all I lost was 1 recent brew

YMMV

Rick

Back