• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

insert comment in single steps of bewing profile?

Felix

Apprentice
Reaction score
I want and create the brewing profile for this gluten free recipe http://hobbybrauer.de/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=10
But how can I input the addition of amylase on each of the 2 steps at 72°C?

Felix - the link to the recipe/website you posted is in what appears to be German.  I would like to help, but I don't speak German and cannot read the dialog. So, if you can offer more detail on your issue I'm certain one of us will be able to offer some sort of assistance.

for the moment, I only translated for myself...in french.:)
I will try to update tomorrow.

Amylase enzyme can be added as an item to the Misc ingredient database. You can define it to be added to the mash.

The recipe instructions have you add the enzyme after two high temperature infusions (though, the second step seems to read like a decoction, except the whole mash is heated). The fact is that you can add all of the amylase after the first infusion, if you do a traditional decoction of 1/3 of the mash. Plenty of amylase should still be active in the mash.

BeerSmith doesn't give you the opportunity to make notes for each step, but you can add notes to the recipe in the Notes tab.

approximative translation (recipe from nov 1998)
Gluten free beer
,,Zöliakiebier"

Ingredients:
• 1700 gr Quinoa
• 1500 gr Amarant
• 22.8 gr hop (Hallertauer tradition,)
• 1-2 ml Amylase
• 10 gr dry yeast

procedure:
- ??:
First roast 200 gr Amarant, grind afterwards Amarant and Quinoa (not too finely, possibly fine semolina).

- main mash:
Soak the grain with 15 liters of water at 60 °C; the mashes cools itself. Then heat the main mash in 5°C - steps (max. 1°C / min) up to 72°C. At a temperature of 65 ° add 1 ml Amylase (the Amylase works between 65°C and 78°C, its effect reaching a maximum at 72°C the polymers sugar opens in simple sugar). Take a sample at this step.

- saccharification:
Make a rest of  30 - 40 min at 72°C ,keeping the temperature constant. This is important for cutting the sugar molecules. Take another sample, the mash should taste sweetly.

- Heat:
Now boil the mash strongly on 85°C to 95°C and allow to cool to 72°C in the lautering tun.

- clarification in the lautering tun:
Add  again 1 ml Amylase at 72°C. Make a rest of approx. 30 min..

- Abmaischen:
Filter the mash with a strainer (cloth). Inpu the first 8g of hop in the clarified wort. If nothing more runs, add 5 liters of water in the lautering tun (first rinsing) and  stir  strongly the mash. Rest for 15 min and then strain. Repeat this step once (second rinsing) the lautering is finished with it.

- (??):
For higher alcoholic content sugar can be added (not necessary).

- hoping:
Boil the wort approximately 70 - 90 min at approximately 99°C. Add the remaining hop (14.8 gr) 15 min into boiling..

- ??:
After the cooking, strain the wort through a fine-meshed “diaper” (??) and allow to cool.

On cooling to 15°C, separate 5% of the wort and keep (comment: I take better 7-10% at temperature over 85°C, put in bottle and let cool upside down; then store it in the fridge until bottling). Add 10 g of dry yeast. Ferment for at least 5 days.
Add the unfermented portion of wort to the occurred young beer and stir well. Immediately bottle and keep the bottles at room temperature. After this week put the young beer 2 - 3 weeks at around 0°C, better leave 3- 4 weeks (with higher temperatures raise the time appropriately). Then the beer is durable approximately 1/2 year and longer.

Back