• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Run keg lines through a fridge

Coolt86

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm building a bar in my shop. I only have room for a smaller bar fridge under the bar, enough for 2 korny kegs.
I had a thought but I don't know if it would work....  Can I have 4 kegs externally running lines into the bar fridge. The bar fridge would have a big tank of water and the beer lines coiled in it then up to the taps.
Would this work? Or just make foam?
Cheers
Tom

I've seen chillers where you run the beer through a cooler filled with ice, say at a picnic, and the taps are on the cooler. The beer runs though a copper coil immersed in ice, then out the tap. I'm not sure how well that would work, being that carbonation is related to pressure. The pressure needed to keep the warm beer carbonated would be high relative to the pressure required to dispense the beer, so like you said it might be foamy. I imagine if the length of the tubing was long enough then it might stabilize by the time it gets to the tap . But then that's a lot of beer getting stale in the line between pours, which could result in waste.

Try it. What have you got to lose? Do a trial run with one keg and see what happens. If it doesn't work then you settle for two beers on tap instead of four.

Keeping beer cold is important for freshness, carbonation and serving. Large changes in temperature causes foaming.

There are coils that'll chill a slightly warm (about 60oF) down to 38, but they're around 120 feet long and very small diameter. This is so that the required increase in pressure to keep the beer carbonated is offset by increased resistance of the line. The smaller diameter also chills the beer early in its travel and the rest of the distance helps re-laminate the carbonation into the beer.

For festivals where a cold, full 15.5 gallon keg is kept in a bit of ice but still warms a little, these setups are ideal. The greater serving pressure doesn't have time to overcarbonate the beer. But if the kegs are left in that configuration for a day or two, all bets are off. The keg will eventually overcarbonate and it won't serve correctly.

The ideal serving system will balance the dispense pressure, tubing diameter, distance and height of the draw. One constant that makes that possible is having all the kegs at the same temperature.

The best way to run remote beer lines is to do what bars do. Run the lines inside an insulated bundle along with glycol coolant lines. A small unit is easy to do yourself.  Place a one gallon plastic container in your fridge at about 33f  with glycol in it and a small pond pump, run the glycol through your bundle and back to the container reservoir. You have will have 2 glycol lines in there, a feed and a return which is the feed looped back.

The pump can be switched on and off by a temperature control with sensor in the lines. Small runs may not even need the pump at all.
Use nontoxic glycol and wrap your bundled lines in black foam tube insulation similar to pipe insulation.  Seal it with foil or duct tape. You may need  a small tube inserted into the bundle at lowest point to drain any condensation build up.  Bundles can be bought pre made in various configurations up to 8 beer lines but it is easy to make yourself. Your beer will remain cold in the lines and you can run them wherever you wish.  CHEERS!

Back