• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Priming a Saison with Elderflower Cordial

jonnym_ch

Brewer
Reaction score
hi all,
a two part question for you ...
1) i'm ready to bottle a saison (23l bottling volume at 21°C) and was thinking of using some elderflower cordial i made for priming. maths is really not my subject but i made the elderflower cordial with 1l of water for 1kg of sugar. there was only a little boil off from the cordial (boil time is short) so if i ignored this, would i be right in guessing that there is roughly .5g of sugar per 1ml of cordial and then making my sugar calculation based on that ????
2) i would also like to mix in a little citric acid to add a little tartness. what amount would you recommend to give just a hint to the finished beer?
cheers in advance !
jon

forgot to mention, once i have the correct quantity of cordial for priming, i'll work out the amount of cordial for a 330ml bottle of beer then put that in a 330ml glass of water to see how strong the flavour is ... then adjust by adding sugar if necessary :)

hi all,
i know that no-one replied to this question (so perhaps there's not a great deal of interest) but i thought it was worthwhile just letting you all know how it turned out.
so, i primed a single .5 litre bottle of abv 5.8% saison with 8ml of elderflower cordial, hoping to get around 3 units of co2. the beer was 21°C when bottled.
the carbonation was spot on in my opinion, however i have to say that i was not able to distinguish the taste of elderflower in the beer:( perhaps using the flowers in the boil or adding dried during fermentation might provide more of the elderflower flavour...
anyhoo, just thought i'd let you know.
cheers,
jon

Back