• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beginner: Need a Recipe for a Cascade Heavy IPA

efweber

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a beginner brewer looking for some advice. I've only brewed clones "kits" before and need help developing a straightforward recipe for my first "original" brew. I have 16oz of dried (not pelletizied) local CT Cascade hops that I'd like to use. I'm looking to brew an IPA or double IPA -- hop forward, citrusy, piney, NOT sweet, NOT malty. Not sure if this possible with just the Cascade but would love to give it a try if so. If necessary, (I would purchase a few additional varieties of hops to get to the flavor I'm going for.)

I need to know what type of DME and yeast to get and then general quantities/guidelines for brewin it all up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Emily

If you want something to really emphasize the hops, try going very simple:  Light or extra light DME/LME to the gravity you want.  I'd aim for about 1.060 to 1.070 for an IPA and around 1.080 to 1.100 for a DIPA.  These DME/LMEs are essentially base grains with no character grains added.  For a little more complexity, you can sub in some amber DME at about 10% to 20%, which will bring in some crystal malt flavors at a very low level.

As for the hopping schedule, I would aim for the bulk of hopping very late in the boil along with whirlpool additions.  My schedule for SMaSH recipes is 30 minute, 15 minute, 5 minute additions during the boil with the IBU contributions being about equal for each hop add and then a whirlpool addition to give the same approximate IBU contribution.  So, if you target around 60 IBU total for an IPA, you would add a 15 minute IBU contribution at 30 min, 15 min, 5 min, and with a whirlpool.  Then you can dry hop at about the same (weight) amount as the whirlpool addition to give you a healthy hop aroma.

Back