• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Ratio Bug

Fyrwulf

New Forum Member
Reaction score
It seems like whenever I try to manually edit the water ratio to my preferred 1.5qt/lb within the recipe, the change never takes effect. I've tried editing the master profile to the same effect. Why is it that this program is so unintuitive?

EDIT: This seems to be a bug with the standard BIAB profiles.

If you are using a BIAB profile with the 'BIAB Mash with full boil' checked, the program defaults to a full volume mash.  If you are doing a step mash or BIAB with sparge, treat it as an infusion mash and not a BIAB to give you the flexibility to adjust the water to grain ratio within the mash profile.

Also, each recipe is a self-contained file.  If you adjust the master mash profile, you need to go into each recipe you had already created and update the mash profile before it will take effect within the recipe.

Oginme said:
If you are using a BIAB profile with the 'BIAB Mash with full boil' checked

Where do I go to change this?

Also, each recipe is a self-contained file.  If you adjust the master mash profile, you need to go into each recipe you had already created and update the mash profile before it will take effect within the recipe.

Again, with the BIAB profile this doesn't work. I'm setting up recipes for a Brewie and there is a hard limit to how much water it will hold.

Fyrwulf said:
Oginme said:
If you are using a BIAB profile with the 'BIAB Mash with full boil' checked

Where do I go to change this?

>> This is changed in the Mash profile.

Again, with the BIAB profile this doesn't work. I'm setting up recipes for a Brewie and there is a hard limit to how much water it will hold.

If there is a hard limit to the volume of your mashing vessel then that is your issue which was missing in your initial question.  Right now, there is no method to fix volume at a maximum.  I would recommend changing to a single infusion mash profile and you will need to edit the mash profile  to the maximum volume of water & grain (which can be found on the mash tab in the recipe) for each recipe which exceeds your maximum value and either top off to boil volume or sparge for any recipe exceeding the max but needing additional fluid to meet your target volume to the fermenter.

BeerSmith will flag any volume which exceeds the capacity of your mash tun, but does not impose a limit.

Back