• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Priming sugar amount does not update based on bottling volume

Erik_Mog

Apprentice
Reaction score
On the fermentation tab of the recipe, the priming sugar calculation only uses the estimated bottling volume, not the measured bottling volume.  Thus, if I have a 5.5 gal batch, and lose .5 gal to trub in primary, and then another .5 gal left in secondary after racking off of fruit, I am left with 4.5 gal bottling volume but still told to use 5.97oz table sugar to get 3.2 vol of CO2.  This calculation needs to be based off the measured volume, not the estimated volume.

I don't know how to fix the numbers in BS2. And I once wildly over-carbed a batch by using the amount of sugar BS2 called for. My practice now is to first rack to my bottling bucket (which has volume markings on it) to know exactly how much beer I'm bottling. I then use the Beersmith iPhone app (Home >> Tools >> Carbonation) to dial in my numbers. If you don't have the app, there are plenty of other priming calculators online.

For temp, I use the highest temp the beer reached in primary/secondary to account for residual CO2.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Brewer's Friend has a nice calculator with good notes at bottom.

Mofo said:
I don't know how to fix the numbers in BS2. And I once wildly over-carbed a batch by using the amount of sugar BS2 called for. My practice now is to first rack to my bottling bucket (which has volume markings on it) to know exactly how much beer I'm bottling. I then use the Beersmith iPhone app (Home >> Tools >> Carbonation) to dial in my numbers. If you don't have the app, there are plenty of other priming calculators online.

For temp, I use the highest temp the beer reached in primary/secondary to account for residual CO2.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Brewer's Friend has a nice calculator with good notes at bottom.

Exactly how I planned to do it, using the priming calculator at Brewersfriend.  I would use the carbonation tool in BS2, but it is only useful if you prime with corn sugar, DME or keg.  If you use table sugar, out of luck. 

Erik_Mog said:
On the fermentation tab of the recipe, the priming sugar calculation only uses the estimated bottling volume, not the measured bottling volume. 

Correct. This is for making sure you have the correct amount of ingredients on hand for what you planned.

Thus, if I have a 5.5 gal batch, and lose .5 gal to trub in primary, and then another .5 gal left in secondary after racking off of fruit, I am left with 4.5 gal bottling volume

And if this is consistent, it should be your profile. Even if it isn't, you can modify the recipe to match real world results and make your profile accurate.

This calculation needs to be based off the measured volume, not the estimated volume.

This may be part of an upcoming update. However, that adjustment still means that the equipment profile is inaccurate, leading you to false results. The accuracy of your recipes is still in your hands.

Back