• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Safale 05 Poor Clarity

Madbeetrootfarmer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all,
First post here!!.  Not sure how as I have been around for the last 10 years.  I have an interesting question for everyone.
I have always used Safale 05 as a very good yeast with good clarity, however it is of recent that I have had some very poor quality brews coming through.  I use a grainfather, 90min mash, 90 min boil, with about 1 tspn brewtan in the mash for extra clarity.  This all seems very good until the transfer stage into the fermenter.  Not sure if the 90 min boil is causing some non enzymic browning and hence causing a darker wort.  I did have perfectly clear brews a while ago using the old esky and keg method, however the granfather is a much superior method of brewing by far.
Grain is from both new and old stock and makes no difference.  Fermentation temp has been a little bit higher than I would like, at around 18oC.  I generally try to ferment at about 14oC.

Anyone got any ideas of how to improve the clarity??

Cheers Fellas,
MBF.

Madbeetrootfarmer said:
I use a grainfather, 90min mash, 90 min boil, with about 1 tspn brewtan in the mash for extra clarity.  This all seems very good until the transfer stage into the fermenter.  Not sure if the 90 min boil is causing some non enzymic browning and hence causing a darker wort. 

With the comment about browning (Maillard) I'm wondering if you're talking about color or haze? Have you tried using the Brewtan at the end of the boil?

Grainfather users report darker worts with extended boils, but not increased haze. Farther along in fermentation and the haze may be unflocculant yeast.

As with all living products, there can be some changes to how yeast act, from time to time. The QA of most yeast suppliers is most focused on viability, cell count and zero contamination. Sometimes the cells they start with have a slight variation in ability to floculate or reduce diacetyl or even attenuate that can go unnoticed in their production. Try to get yeast with a different batch code.

I find us-05 needs a cold crash for about 7 days to clear it up after fermentation complete, especially after a higher temperature ferment.

I have used US-05 on a couple occasions with no issues.  However, I have become very accustomed to using Clarity Ferm (by White Labs) directly into my fermenter after pitching the yeast.  It removes any and all haze related to chill.  Likewise, since using this product, I have noticed clearer beer as viewed looking through the bottle into a bright LED flashlight.  I also use a product called Super Moss (I believe its by 5-Star).  I use a quarter teaspoon at 10 minutes left in the boil. So all my beers are pretty clear with exception to my heavily hopped brews.  Nothing works for those.

Firstly a big big thank you for the response that I have had.  Interesting to hear that extra hops have given a low clarity beer.  I say possibly an high IPA??

Will try a few things.  I think the best thing would be to lower the fermentation temp.  I am sure that if I brew at above 18oC it becomes fairly muddy.  Also I have learnt from the replies regarding to the darker colour beers with extended boil times. 

And lastly I will try a brew in about 2 weeks with fresh new grain as I think the grain that I have used was getting a little old. 

I used to crash chill my brews to about 10oC from boiling through 2 heat exchangers and found that I had perfect clarity so I'm thinking this may help as well.

I am also using in the last one some bohemian Pilsner which I have had high turbidity/clarity as well.  And the same when using Joe White malts.  I seem to find the best grains to use have been Weyermann's and Barrett Burston, and also Marris Otter (Thomas Faucet).

Not sure what brands everyone else out there is currently using??

Once again thanks for the replies and we'll see how we go next brew!!

MBF.

I've used Safale 05 on numerous occasions, with all sorts of different grains and amounts of hops. The only thing I do for clear beer is add whirlfloc 15 minutes before end of boil and do a 2 week secondary in my basement. I've never had any clarity issues doing it this way so far!

Back