• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing appropriate style for the weather / season

twhitaker

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi , just a thought on how important it is to have the right kind of beer ready to drink at the right time of year-season. (Canadian EH)
Recently we all did samplings of a fine local craft brewer but all they had were dark heavy beers, except one medium bodied lager.
We all rated these brews then rated some homebrew- weissbier. The temperatures were at about 34C (over 90 F) outside and the weissbier was a runaway fave of all. I tried to explain to non brewers that it was because I had the right style of beer on hand for hot summer, and the craft brewed samplings did not fit the weather. Even the 7% hoppy IPA's were rather hard to drink due to heavy body.  The weissbier flowed like magic down everyones throats though. Brewing before hand to have it ready on time is the key.

Anyone have input as to their seasonal  favourites?  for me- summer equals cream ale and weissbier, and any Pilsner or lager remaining from cold weather brewing. ST patricks day is good to have Irish Red on hand, and fall/ winter is for porter, stout, heavy bodied IPA and such. By Christmas I like to have Trappist quad on hand.  CHEERS All, Thoughts?

Greetings twhitaker,

This is a very interesting subject indeed.  I am relatively new to all grain brewing (2-1/2 years) and I'm also trying to schedule my brews based on the season.  Personally, I like the Wheat beers during the dog days of summer.  They seem to be much more refreshing.  I also enjoy a nice Oktoberfest in early autumn just before I enjoy a nice spiced brew near November and December - they kind of warm the sole.  January through march is when I'll enjoy my porters, brown ales, and stouts.  And lets not forget a nice red around St Patrick's Day.  That brings us to March when I brew my Oktoberfest and allow it to lager all summer long till September (yes, I sample a bottle once in a while.  That's a must!).  All that said, I have a growing addiction to the hop forward beers so I scatter them throughout the year.  But what I'm trying to do is leave my heavy hop forward beers (IPA's, Imperial IPA's and Double IPA's) for the cooler months and my lighter pale ales and white IPS's for the warmer months.

Like you, I enjoy beer based on the season.  The real trick for me is planning ahead to make sure you have the brew you want when the time is right.

For me it is a little complex, mostly because there are a lot of beers I like almost any time.  Predominantly though, I try to brew about 2 to 4 months ahead for a season.

Summer = Helles, Vienna, summer ales, blondes, wheat beers
Autumn = Marzens, APA, Dunkels, Vienna, brown ales, Scottish ales
Winter = Bock, doppelbock, Scotch Ale, porters, stouts
Spring = APA, IPA, brown ales, Scottish ales, bitters

The past three years, I have brewed an average of 26 different recipes each year, repeating also some of my 'house' brews.  No matter what the season though, I try to keep a pretty healthy selection on hand.

Back