• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Seeking Help Understanding My Efficiencies and How to Apply Results

Jiffster

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm trying to determine how to use my efficiency results in Beersmith to adjust future recipes. I have been experiencing higher than expected efficiency numbers but I don't really understand how to use them.

I did see an increase in efficiency after buying my own grain mill. I also have been experiencing some minor issues with my sparges (batch sparging) where the grist clumps together and I have to blow into the hose to unstick it and one time I was unable to collect all of the runnings... left about 1/2 gallon in the Mash Tun.

I am considering opening up the gap between rollers just a tad to get a bit courser mill.

I've attached an exported file of my recipe with all of my measurements included.

Hope I've done this right. If need be, I can export/provide additional recipes.

Appreciate any and all advice.

I am hoping to just utilize Beersmith instead of resorting to a separate spreadsheet, etc.

Attachments

• IPA Recipe.bsmx
    25 KB · Views: 162
Have you considered just increasing the Brewhouse Efficiency number which will compensate for your higher numbers?

Brad

No I haven't. How does that adjust the grain bill, etc to achieve the results of the original recipe targets?

Jiffster said:
No I haven't. How does that adjust the grain bill, etc to achieve the results of the original recipe targets?

The Measured Efficiency found on the fermentation tab should go into the equipment profile as brewhouse efficiency.

When making changes to your brewery setup that increase or decrease efficiency, you can use the scale recipe function to adjust between the two profiles and preserve your target specs. Just swapping a profile to a recipe won't change the grain bill, but it could change your target gravity, if there's enough difference.

In the case of my next brew, I'm brewing Biermuncher's Black Pearl Porter recipe.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=236831&postcount=1

In the OP for this recipe, the batch size is 5 gallons.

OG 1.065
IBU 7.5

Since I seem to be getting higher efficiency than what this recipe calls for, when I enter the recipe into Beersmith the estimates are:

OG 1.073
IBU 8.3

Now, I typically like to adjust 5 gal batch recipes to 5.5 gal so I have a bit more into the keg. In this particular example, should I just go ahead and change the batch size to 5.5 and leave everything else alone?

When I do, my estimated OG and IBU's are:

OG 1.067
IBU 7.9

Jiffster said:
Now, I typically like to adjust 5 gal batch recipes to 5.5 gal so I have a bit more into the keg. In this particular example, should I just go ahead and change the batch size to 5.5 and leave everything else alone?

When the specs line up like that and the beer seems balanced, then you're good to go. You're plenty close with that small variation.

For occasions where a recipe is not that easily translated, here's a good procedure:

1) Add the recipe using the efficiency and brewery equipment of the recipe writer.
2) Use the Scale Recipe function to make the recipe fit your equipment and volume.

When the brewer's equipment isn't known (which is most of the time, online) just set a profile with zero loss to trub or mashtun deadspace. The brewhouse efficiency is then exactly the same as the brewer's mash efficiency. The batch size is equal to the post boil kettle volume.

brewfun said:
When the brewer's equipment isn't known (which is most of the time, online) just set a profile with zero loss to trub or mashtun deadspace. The brewhouse efficiency is then exactly the same as the brewer's mash efficiency. The batch size is equal to the post boil kettle volume.

Can you help me understand this a little better, please?

A recipe that gives you only mash efficiency is also telling you that the recipe volume is the post boil kettle volume (after chilling). This is because mash efficiency only measures the sugars that make it to the kettle.

Back