• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sugar Addition in Efficiency Calculation (Add After Boil)

davelouw

Apprentice
Reaction score
I believe I've found a bug in the sugar calculations.

Steps to repro:

1. Create a new recipe
2. Add 1 pound of cane sugar and 1 pound of pale malt and the batch size to 6.00 gallons (my equipment is set to boil off roughly 1 gallon in 1 hour)
3. Set the brewhouse efficiency to 70%
4. Open up the efficiency details dialog by clicking on the "brewhouse efficiency" button
5. Observe that the second panel shows the following (these are all expected values):
Volume to Boiler: 7.02
OG into Boiler: 1.010
Planned Boil Volume: 7.02
Est OG into Boiler: 1.010 SG
Efficiency into Boiler
6. Close the dialog and double click on the cane sugar addition to bring up its details
7. Click the "Add After Boil" checkbox and click ok
8. Open up the efficiency details dialog by clicking on the "brewhouse efficiency" button
9. In the second panel set the following values (so they match the expected values from the right side):
Volume into Boiler: 7.02
OG into Boiler: 1.004
10. Look at Efficiency into Boiler

Expected results:
The efficiency into boiler should be roughly 70% because I hit the estimated boil volume and Est OG into boiler.

Actual results:
The efficiency into boiler is listed as 0%.  It looks like the dialog is still expecting to get 6 points of gravity from the sugar addition even though I checked the "add after the boil" check box.

I'm using version 1_40, build 036.

Thanks!
  It does look like a bug - apparently the sugar is being included as part of the OG for the calculation even though it has "add after boil" checked.  I'll see if I can clear this up for the next release.

Brad

Back