• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

how long can beer lager before its no good?

Luxion

Apprentice
Reaction score
I started an octoberfest last year and got through all the lagering stages but couldnt find time to get it bottled before i forgot it was in the basement fridge. is it still viable to bottle? someone told me that you could lager for extended periods and it makes them better but how long is too long?

Last edited:
This is purely my own opinion, but if it is in a glass carboy i wouldn't be too worried and i would bottle it. If it's in a plastic bucket.....i would probably still bottle it....just not get my hopes as high....because plastic buckets are more oxygen permeable from what i've been told.

I recommend adding some dried yeast (US-05 or another neutral strain) when you bottle. After a year of lagering, enough yeast will have settled out that it would take a very long time to carbonate if you don't add some yeast.

Back