• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Have I added too much Malt?.....

Nick Heuz

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Last night I made 23 litres of IPA using the following:
Coopers IPA 1.7kg extract, 1kg light malt extract tin, 500g powdered DME (added by accident) and coopers brew enhancer 2 (500g dextrose, 250g DME, 250g maltodextrin)
I pitched at 22 degrees with 11.5g US-05 yeast and dry hopped with 25g of Galaxy hops.
I'm worried I have added too much Malt.
Should I add more boiled cooled water? or a hop tea? do I need more yeast?
This is my second brew so I need your help.
Many thanks.

Roughly calculated your beer will have an OG of 1.054.  ABV will be 5.75% if the FG is 1.010 or a little lower.  IBU 38 and SRM 6.6.  In the style of an IPA.  You won't need any more yeast.  The OG isn't to high for US-05.

Were the Galaxy hops bittering or for dry hopping.  Bittering hops are added at the beginning of the boil.  Dry hops added after fermentation has ended.  I calculated the hops as for bittering.

Thanks for the reply mate. I was really worried I had screwed it up. I called Coopers and they told me that a similar amount of fermentables goes into the Extra Vintage Ale which put me much more at ease. The brewer there suggested that I will have a strong ale in the range of high 5's to low 6's % alc.

Back